Are your affairs in order

Death or serious injury is not something we like to sit and contemplate but by planning now you can save a lot of heartache for your loved ones.

The term ‘estate planning’ might sound like you need to be wealthy, but you don’t need to be rich to plan for the future. A good estate plan covers not only the money and assets you leave behind but also details things such as a guardian for your children and what should happen to you if you become incapacitated.

Create a Will

The most common part of an estate plan is a Will. A Will can include items of:

  • Financial value – houses, cars, shares or cash
  • Sentimental value – books, furniture or photos
  • Guardianship for your children.

A Will is important because without it, your estate may be divided in a way you had not planned. For example, if you die without a Will and have a spouse and children, your spouse won’t necessarily get your complete estate.

Complete your super death benefit nomination

Your superannuation is most likely your biggest asset outside of your house. It is possible for you to inform the Trustee of where you would like your super to go by filling out a death benefit nomination form. Binding nominations are valid for a limited time, you will need to complete a new form or confirm your binding nomination every three years. You should also revise your nomination each time your personal circumstances change (such as if you marry, divorce or have a child).

Create a living Will

By creating a living Will, you can detail your wishes in the event of you being on life support or if you need medical intervention. Without a living Will, your family may disagree about treatment, which could cause considerable distress.

Create a power of attorney or power of guardianship

There are generally two types of power of attorney/power of guardianship documents that deal with these issues:

  • Financial – you appoint a person to act on your behalf on all financial matters such as paying your bills and selling assets.
  • Health care – you appoint a person to make medical decisions on your behalf and can discuss your health issues and care with your medical professionals.

These types of documents are important should you become incapacitated. Be sure to discuss your wishes with the people you nominate beforehand so they can act appropriately.

See a professional

Getting your affairs in order doesn’t have to be difficult. Get professional assistance from a financial adviser, an estate planner or a solicitor – you’ll find it makes things a lot less complicated.

*This article is for general information purposes only. It is not intended as financial or investment advice and should not be construed or relied on as such. Before making any commitment of a financial nature you should seek advice from a qualified and registered financial or investment adviser.

PEB Property Group is a complete property advisory service for Perth families. Offices are located in Inglewood and Willetton, Perth, Western Australia and offer service in - Financial Planning · Finance Broking · Property Management · Property Sales · Property Investment · Development

PEB Finance is a trading name of PEB Brokers Pty Ltd ACN 604 784 401 | Australian Credit Licence 389510 | Credit Representative Number 476313.

PEB Real Estate is a trading name of PEB Real Estate Pty Ltd (Licensee) ABN 33 604 199 617 | Triennial Number RA70508.

PEB Financial Planning is a trading name of PEB Group WA Pty Ltd ACN 142 958 254. Rebecca Howarth and Howarth (WA) Pty Ltd trade as PEB Financial Planning. Rebecca Howarth (ARN 244928) and Howarth (WA) Pty Ltd (ARN 433328) are Authorised Representatives of NEO Financial Solutions Pty Ltd. AFSL 385845 | ABN 64 141 607 098.